What is SAP Cloud Platform?
It’s a platform (available “as a service”) to connect your systems and applications.
Within SAP Cloud Platform you can build, customize or extend applications and thus extend/improve the functionalities of your environment.
Definition by SAP
SAP Cloud Platform is an open platform-as-a-service (PaaS) that delivers in-memory capabilities, core platform services, and unique microservices for building and extending intelligent, mobile-enabled cloud applications.
The platform is designed to accelerate digital transformation by helping you quickly, easily, and economically develop the exact application you need – without investing in on-premise infrastructure.
Based on open standards, SAP CP offers complete flexibility and control over your choice of clouds, frameworks, and applications.
Within SAP CP you can have 2 environments
- SAP Cloud Platform Neo Environment
- SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry Environment
Overview of the differences between these 2 SAP Cloud Platform Environments
Both environments come with their own set of tools and specifics. Strategically if you start with your SAP Cloud Platform adventure, the future proof direction will be Cloud Foundry. Note that not yet all services are available on the Cloud Foundry environment, so this will require checking that the features you need are available in that environment. SAP is working very hard to deliver full parity of features and will remain supporting the Neo environment in the future, but new developments will primarily target the Cloud Foundry environment.
What about the ABAP Environment?
You might have heard of the SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment, also known as Steampunk, and wonder how this fits into the above picture. Simply put: the ABAP environment is a Cloud Foundry based offering supporting the (restricted) ABAP language and provides the ABAP runtime for running ABAP-based programs on top of SAP HANA database infrastructure.
What are the key use cases for SAP Cloud Platform?
SAP has positioned the SAP Cloud Platform as the technology platform for all their cloud-based software offerings before and has recently extended this to be their go-to business technology platform. This goes hand-in-hand with the main use cases SAP has for the platform as depicted in the below picture.
- Integration: SAP has developed a full suite of products on SAP Cloud Platform to enable the integration between SAP and non-SAP applications providing enterprise security and reliability.
- Extension: enable developers to extend functionality of existing SAP SaaS offerings (like SAP SuccessFactors, SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP C/4HANA to name a few) with a straightforward programming model that allows efficient delivery of new functionality without the need of touching the core of the applications. These extensions can be written in Java, NodeJS and ABAP
- Intelligent Business Process Management: give insights into your business processes, address potential process blockers and automate manual processes using robotic process automation.
- Digital Experience Platform: provide a consistent look-and-feel on all platforms available, enable efficient collaboration and provide best-in-class native mobile experience to your employees.
- Business services: leverage technologies that allow adoption of specific governmental regulations, globalization services and industry specific services. Underpin all your applications with consistent master data and infuse your business with AI and machine learning.
All these use cases are supported on the same platform foundation that secures identity access management, data privacy and security in a multi-cloud environment giving users freedom of choice on where and how to implement their business requirements.
If you would like to discuss this case, or prefer a more elaborate explanation, please do not hesitate to contact us